Wednesday, January 27, 2016

ZINE REVIEW: I Don't Care I'm Still Free


I DON’T CARE I’M STILL FREE
A Fanzine Celebrating Joss Whedon's Firefly
By Sarah May
(Pioneers Press)

Firefly was a show which aired for exactly one season in 2002-2003. Despite its premature demise, it was quick to attract a cult following which eventually earned the program, and Firefly fans, a full-length movie, Serenity in 2005.

The Firefly saga is set in the future, although it employs cowboy & western themes in its setting on the outer planets of the galaxy (which have been terraformed to look exactly like southern California). 

Zine author, Sarah May is a bit obsessed with Firefly. I've watched the series, and while it certainly has its charms, it is a bit corny and I sometimes grapple with the sci-fi/Old West/Rebel hodgepodge with Chinese phrases mixed in, but I get it, it's the future, it's a big ol' heaping cultural mash up. Some episodes struggle to hold my interest, but I definitely see its appeal. At any rate, this post isn't about Firefly, necessarily, it's about a zine about a show called Firefly and it will surely resonate with fellow fans of the show in its unabashed love for this short-lived, rebel cowboys-in-space adventure.

The zine contains trivia, song lyrics, anecdotes and a recipe for Mudder's Milk, which is an intoxicant consumed by the Mudders while they mine mud in Canton on muddy Higgin's Moon and worship Jayne Cobb, who is one of the crew members on -- oh never mind. If you're a fan you already know all that and as a fan you should be sure to obtain this handy Firefly companion. Why? Because they can "burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me." Or something!

No comments: